Thursday 10 December 2009

Hepburn in a Hilton World











I came across this article in the Sunday Times style magazine, its focus is on the lose of elegance with modern women's fashion and suggests ways in which we can rekindle the Hepburn look with a modern twist.
I really enjoyed this article and have many a time wished for the graceful fifties style to be revived. I often feel a little depressed when I go clubbing and see how scantaly clad girls are as they totter down the road in impossible heels. Why do we do it? I don't pretend to be an innocent obsever, I to have worn risque clothing but how is a girl meant to dress respectably when all that is found in the shops these days are dresses that won't even cover your bottom!

Women's fashion is heavily reflective of society, clothes are reflective of our status in soceity- making the two intrinsically entwined,as it always has been. Even though leaps have been made with the feminist movement we clearly still do not have equality. A world where a woman has to sexulise her look to get attention, whilst men are in the same t-shirt and jeans frankly speaks volumes.
In a world of 'if you've got it flaunt it' and where Jordan is considered a business genius... I worry for the future of women.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, a return to the days where we had a little elegance, women were never seen without hats and gloves and gentlemen doffed their hats sometimes does seem preferable to a night at Oceana!

    ReplyDelete